Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What are you Learning?

I have always been a huge believer in progression. Even as a child, I would spend enormous amounts of time trying to get "better" at a skill. It seemed like the natural thing to do. My seven year old brain could not understand why anyone would settle for just being "OK" at something when the option was there to be great? So, I set off on my life goal of being "great" at a skill. Martial Arts became my calling. 32 years later, I would like to think that I have utilized my time properly and have achieved, to a large degree, a fair level of high quality Martial Art skill.

The most important aspect of training that I have learned over the past 32 years is that of consistent improvement. Martial Art training is a given. I have dedicated my life to it. If I am not training in THAT arena of my life, I should consider a career change (lazy martial artists, please take that last comment to heart. Seriously) What about other areas? Other interests? Endeavors? What about becoming a "white belt" in other areas of your life? That is what this blog is about.

I will share my experiences with everyone as I take on new challenges. The challenge of the beginner. The challenge of looking ridiculous. The challenge of doing things wrong in an effort to learn to do them right. The challenge of being brave.

MY challenge to ANYONE who reads this blog is simple: Find something that you know nothing about...and throw yourself into acquiring the knowledge.

If Martial Arts teaches us nothing else (which it does - but work with me here), it teaches that taking the first step, that of a beginner, is the most important step of all. The world is filled with folks who sit on their heels. I am not one of those folks. Join me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment